The week's blogger is my favorite when it comes to the 4-1-1 on black movies. She has a discriminating eye and her points are always spot on. Like it or not, she tells it like it is about black cinema.
I've been reading her blog for several months; probably since its inception and I love the content. But, when she went live with her current blog design, I was completely blown away. Perhaps it's because I'm such a Pam Grier fan, I don't know, but I haven't seen a blog design that tops hers. It so fits the flavor of the blog. Anyhoo, presenting this week's Blogger in the Spotlight…Invisible Woman.
Blog: Invisible Woman.....Black Cinema At LARGE
1. When did you start blogging? June 2007
2. Why did you become a blogger? I was tired of the under representation of Black Hollywood in the mainstream media, as well as the reviews I would read about Black Cinema by non-black critics. There were the same black actors and directors shown over and over again.
3. What do you hope to accomplish through your blog?
I want to give exposure to black films, actors, directors, festivals, and situations the public at large wouldn't always ordinarily know about. I want people to come in and have dialogues about how they feel about the state of Black Hollywood and it's by-products.
4. Which blogging platform do you use? Blogger, tho I am currently looking at other options.
5. Mac or PC? PC....I am definitely eventually going to Mac tho, but every time I go to the Apple Store I cringe at the prices....one day I'll just bite the bullet!
6. How many hours per day do you spend on your blog? It depends....if I'm just doing a short diss, not that long....if it requires actual thought, pictures, and research, maybe a couple hours. One time tho, I tried to do one post for 4 hours, and Blogger would mess it up over and over! One of the main reasons I'm looking for a new platform.
7. How frequently do you post to your blog? I usually post about 5 times a week, one or two posts per day. I used to do a lot more, but it was too time consuming.
8. How many hours per day do you spend reading other blogs? Waaaaay too much time. I love reading other peoples views on things, and I am always finding information that I had no idea existed...it's very stimulating. Also, there are quite a few bloggers out there who are just 100% hilarious, and I love to laugh!
9. What's your best blogging experience? I just love knowing that there are like-minded folks out there all over the country...before I started blogging I was getting discouraged in my little part of the world. It is becoming quite an impressive community, with a lot of positivity and solidarity amongst the bloggers.
10. What's your worst blogging experience? Ugh. I agree with what Shelia was saying a couple of weeks ago....a major, very high profile blog linked to a post I did (that I did not even write by the way, it was a repost) and it brought in some very hateful, racist people and comments. It is quite disturbing and disheartening to know there are people walking around with these horrible mindsets.
11. Why do you think there are not more black bloggers? Ya know, I think there are plenty, and more on the way....there are a ton of black blogs out there that I am aware of and haven't gotten to yet, cause I am so saturated by the ones I already read.
12. How would you go about increasing the number of black bloggers? I don't really see that as something that is a problem or an issue....but that's just my humble opinion.
13. What's your favorite color?
Pink....it's the rediscovered girly in me.
14. What's the last book that you read? I'm gonna be honest and not try to be all impressive...."Lemony Snicket and A Series Of Unfortunate Events" (book 2). I had to go thru a couple of stress inducing situations recently, and I think reading that was the escapist equivalent to sucking my thumb, haha.
15. Who's your favorite author? Hmmmm....hard to choose, but if I had to choose one on a desert island I guess I would say Langston Hughes. Non-black would be David Sedaris.
16. What's your favorite type of music? I love all music, but my very favorite by far is 70's Soul.
17. What famous person, living or dead, would you like to have a conversation with? That's funny cause my girlfriends and I would do this thing about our dead boyfriends (not as morbid as it sounds) and mine was Malcolm X. Boy, would I love to hear what he had to say.
18. Who are three of your favorite bloggers? You mean besides you? lol! I have so very many, but I want to give a special shout out there to the strong, intelligent black females blogging (no disrespect, guys) that just put so much of themselves out there; it's very brave...PurpleZoe from UltravioletUnderground, MsMarvalous from Opinionated Black Woman, Chocl8t from the Chocl8t Diaries, AJ from OveranalyzeIt. Danielle from Not Your Average Citizen, Regina from Regina's Family Seasons who leaves so much goodwill on everyone's blog.....I can go on all day about so many amazing women.
I also love The Black Actor Blog; we are very much in the same mindset about Black Hollywood and it's shenanigans.
19. What one piece of advice would you give to new bloggers? Please, if you are gonna blog, please post regularly. There are several blogs that I discovered and really dug, and then they post like once every two weeks....it's frustrating and kind of a turnoff. If that's what you need to do, just let your readers know...something like "Hey, I'm only gonna post 3 times bi-weekly" or something like that.
Also, the music thing blasting from the blog? Not good. Sometimes I am cruising around the internets in the middle of the night and somebody's blog music will come blasting out cause I forgot to mute....it scares the beejesus out of me! Put up a widget if you want to share your musical tastes, and let the reader decide to click on.
20. What don't we know about you that we should know? Let's see....I'm invisible and anonymous, so I don't think there's anything! :-)